Monday, July 1, 2013

Using Visual Thesauruses

Thinkmap Visual Thesaurus is an excellent tool to increase vocabulary and writing skills. Visual Thesaurus is an interactive dictionary and thesaurus that allows the user to map word webs with meanings, pronunciations, and synonyms. Visual Thesaurus gives proper grammar usage of unfamiliar words as well. In my classroom, students access visual thesaurus for the word of the day and create a word web. Throughout the week, my students will learn five new vocabulary words and apply them in their daily writing assignments. One does have to subscribe to the tool, but this is an excellent source for building vocularly, using words precisely, improve grammar and spelling, and exposure to other languages.

My students have shown great motivation using this site to increase their vocabulary skills.  Whenever my students have to publish a piece of writing, I have them use the visual theasurus to find more captivating words.  I have noticed a definite increase in "catchy" words when students utilize this tool.  My students have created a lot of their own words webs and have shared them with their classmates.  Who knew "playing" with words could so engaging!!

No comments:

Post a Comment